MerleDarling

Book Souk

A bazaar crowded with random offerings. William Gibson/Henrik Ibsen. Zafon, Murakami, Van Gogh. A table of well-thumbed Louisa May Alcott. Shiny Urban Fantasy and an aromatic clutter of cookbooks.

New to BookLikes (but too close to NaNo)

Foundation: The History of England from Its Earliest Beginnings to the Tudors - Peter Ackroyd

As excited as I am to have found BookLikes, this isn't the best time for me to be starting out. NaNoWriMo is nearly here. That means that all my writing time will be syphoned off to the chosen project and most of my usual reading time will be redirected to frenetic writing.

If I read at all in November, it'll be to clear my project sufficiently from my brain that I can catch some sleep (if you've ever done NaNo, you know that's a major feat!). For this purpose, I've got Peter Ackroyd's Foundation ready to hand. Ackroyd isn't a remotely soporific writer; on the contrary, I've always found him strikingly readable. I selected Foundation off the to-read tower because it's the kind of history that can be comfortably read in bits. Equally important: it stops with the end of the War of the Roses, meaning it will come nowhere near near the dystopian future NYC that I'm noodling with for this year's NaNo.

I imagine I'll be stocking my shelves whenever I need a five-minute walk-away refresh from my narrative duties, but this debut post is likely to be my last for quite a while. Once NaNo is over, I look forward to exploring BookLikes, meeting the community, and rambling on about books!